Thursday, March 20, 2014

New York - Day 2 and 3

Wednesday was a wild day, but very exciting indeed. It was the first day of the CSPA Convention. 

During the first session, a few of us went up to the fifth floor to get our publications critiqued. We brought with us two issues of this year's Advocate, as well as a laptop to show our online news website. I wasn't nervous at first, but then our critic opened up by talking about the importance of visuals, which implies that you can't have a good publication if your design editor (i.e. me) sucks. But then she looked at the covers of our Advocates, which I designed, and said they were "absolutely gorgeous." And then I felt like all the life got sucked out of me in a totally cool way. I almost cried. But let it be known: Brenda Tran makes Columbia Scholastic Press Association approved news magazine covers.

The rest of the day went pretty well. After our sessions, we went out to Ellen's Stardust Diner and then to Cinderella. It was pretty well done, props to Carly Rae Jepsen (those dress changes!) and Fran Drescher. Then we hung out around Times Square, then went back to the hotel. Oh, and it was pouring outside so it was awful walking around with no umbrella and soggy boots.

Thursday, today, was even more jam-packed. Quite a few things went awry and a lot of us were cranky by the time it was 4:00. I almost got run over by a U-Haul truck. Highlight of my day: going to a Hungarian Pastry shop nearby the campus. I had a cherry cheesecake strudel. We also visited the World Trade Center/9-11 Memorial and Soho.

After all that, we went back to our hotel. Maddy, Dalena, and I then tried peel-off facials for the first time. They're very fun, except when the goo gets stuck in your eyebrows and hairline.







No comments:

Post a Comment